Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Moving Process

Jason and I decided to move to Louisville, Kentucky.  That story is a post for another day.  There have been many exciting events happening lately.

May 25: Jason started his new job in Louisville at WLKY.  He loves it!

June 5: Jennifer realizes how much work there is to pack an entire house.  Thank goodness for my parents and all their help!

June 6: Jennifer's last day of school!

June 7: more packing

June 8: more packing (thank you Sharon, Jim, Tim, and Matt!)

June 9: moving truck comes.  It took 4 moving guys 6 1/2 hours to pack up our entire house.  I have come to the conclusion that we have too much stuff!

June 10: Benjamin and I drove 7 hours to Louisville.  It was very stressful for the Mama because the Jeep was packed so full of stuff!  I was on high alert for the entire trip.  We looked at some houses in Louisville to rent and filled out an application for the best one.  Now we have to wait to see if we are the chosen family out of 4 applications.  Sad!  We are staying in Elizabethtown (I mean E-Town) with Jason's cousins.  Brian and Billi are so wonderful to let us stay while we look for houses!

June 11: Jason went to work early in the morning and I packed.  Then Jason, Benjamin, and I all drove to Traverse City.  That was about 9 hours.  I am so tired of driving!  So is Benjamin.  He doesn't like being put in his carseat anymore.  He was such a trooper!

June 12: We had a great party in Traverse City.  Family and friends came to visit Jamie and Jason and meet Benjamin. 

The next step will be driving back to Louisville and finding a place to live.  I have an interview on Wednesday for a couple of itinerant positions in Jefferson County.  I have another interview in July for a middle school resource position for the same district.  I'm really excited to meet the administration and hear more about their programs! 

Here is what I've learned about moving:
1. It's better to have a place ready to move to.
2. Everything goes better when there are more people working on it.
3. Don't try to pack a house without everyone who lives there.
4. Planning is essential.
5. We have too much stuff.
6. Our stuff really isn't that important.
7. Going through and sorting stuff takes a lot of time.
8. Shop around for moving companies.
9. Moving companies will store your stuff.  Some charge a little and some charge a lot.  (the one we are using is free for under 30 days)

I'm looking forward to using my new blog to keep in contact with my friends from Illinois and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment